I’m Alice, a 29-year-old lawyer based in NYC. I quit my job to travel in Asia and South America. I like bulleted lists, so here are a few things you might want to know:
- Time is the main reason why I decided to make long-term travel plans. Although I had a decent number of vacation days at work, it was still tricky to plan trips that involved plane rides longer than 8 hours. When I talked about my travel wish list, I would usually end by saying, “I’d love to go there…whenever I have enough time.” Ultimately, I adopted a now-or-never mentality: I’m single, relatively young (I have to remind myself of this whenever I woke up to yells from 23 year olds tearing up Murray Hill at 2:00 AM), and don’t have a pet or own a house. It’s only going to get more difficult to travel later, so I figured I should take the opportunity now. That being said, deciding to quit my job was difficult, especially since I had close friends at work.
- I don’t have concrete post-travel plans. Yes, this is terrifying, and no, you don’t have to remind me of this. I plan to start looking into jobs a couple of months before I return to the U.S.
- Things I love: figure skating, Cornell, French fries (or pommes frites, if you want to be fancy. Delicious either way.)
- Things I despise: snoring, gum snapping, cucumbers
- Vietnam: May 6, 2017 to June 4, 2017
- Thailand: June 4, 2017 to June 25, 2017
- Malaysia: June 25, 2017 to July 26, 2017
- Indonesia: July 26, 2017 to August 25, 2017
- The Philippines: August 25, 2017 to September 16, 2017
- Taiwan: September 16, 2017 to September 19, 2017
- Japan: September 19, 2017 to October 17, 2017
- Bolivia: October 28, 2017 to November 24, 2017
- Peru: November 24, 2017 to present